Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • ABOUT US
  • BUY e-MAGAZINE
  • CONTACT US
  • DONATE FOR US
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • ABOUT US
  • BUY e-MAGAZINE
  • CONTACT US
  • DONATE FOR US
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Chadema decries “bias” as candidates barred from Lake Zone local elections in Tanzania

KBAdmin by KBAdmin
November 11, 2024
in Politics
0
Chadema decries “bias” as candidates barred from Lake Zone local elections in Tanzania

 

 

You might also like

APC Concludes Peaceful, Transparent House of Reps Primaries in Ondo State

Tension Rocks APC Reps Primary in Ondo as Thugs Disrupt Result Declaration 

Primary Appeal C’tte: Ondo APC invites aggrieved aspirants to present case

Chadema’s Shinyanga Regional Secretary, Sebastian Polepole, expressed disappointment over the disqualification of their candidates, calling it unfair. Photo: Courtesy 

Chadema decries “bias” as candidates barred from Lake Zone local elections in Tanzania

By Adonis Byemelwa

Shinyanga–Chama Cha Demokrasia na Maendeleo (Chadema) in the Serengeti Region is sounding the alarm over what it calls unfair removal of its candidates from the November 27 local government elections. Party leaders claim the move undermines democracy, calling it a targeted effort to silence opposition voices and deny Serengeti residents a fair choice at the polls.

This action, Chadema argues, deprives citizens of their constitutional right to elect leaders of their choice. Jackson Mnyawami, Chadema’s Serengeti Regional Secretary, spoke out on November 10, expressing dismay over the disqualification of their candidates, which he claims violates election regulations.

“We are deeply disappointed by the blatant bias shown by election supervisors, who removed our candidates’ names to ensure unopposed victories for CCM candidates,” said Mnyawami. “This denies citizens their constitutional right to vote and choose leaders they want to lead them.”

Mnyawami further claimed that some Chadema candidates were disqualified on trivial grounds, including one instance where a candidate was barred because he was said to have “too many wives”—a reason he insists is not supported by election regulations.

Chadema is currently appealing the disqualification of its candidates, with appeals to be submitted on November 13. Mnyawami urged election supervisors and the Minister of State for Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG) to restore their candidates’ names, allowing them to participate in the campaign and face fair competition at the polls.

In Bugweto mtaa, Shinyanga municipality, tensions flared when Juma Nkoba, a Chadema candidate, discovered his name had been struck from the ballot over a minor discrepancy. Nkoba’s application listed his age as 41, while local records showed him as 42—a small inconsistency that officials seized upon to justify his disqualification.

Outraged Chadema supporters flooded the area, sparking a heated standoff with election officials. Amid the uproar, Mathias Masalu, the ward executive officer and an open supporter of CCM, called in the police to contain the crowd. Though the police presence defused the situation without arrests, the incident has intensified accusations of political bias in election oversight, leaving many questioning the fairness of the upcoming race.

Adding fuel to the fire, Masalu was later overheard bragging about his role in disqualifying opposition candidates.  Speaking to locals in a public setting, he reportedly boasted, “We’ve cleared the field so that CCM can win without resistance. Chadema doesn’t stand a chance here.”

His remarks have only intensified accusations of political bias, with Chadema supporters calling the disqualifications a deliberate strategy to sideline opposition voices and guarantee CCM an unopposed path to victory.

Local Bugweto residents voiced frustration over officials’ political involvement, especially when ward executives engage actively in politics. “If Tanzania truly valued good governance, officials with such titles wouldn’t be involved in politics,” said one resident. The involvement of district commissioners in active politics also drew criticism, with residents arguing it compromises the impartiality required for fair leadership.

The issue of political neutrality among public officials was also recently debated in Tanzania’s High Court. On October 28, 2024, the court dismissed a high-profile case brought by activists Bob Chacha Wangwe, Bubelwa Kaiza, and Dr. Ananilea Nkya, who argued that oversight of local government elections by a sitting minister compromised neutrality. The court upheld the minister’s authority, emphasizing that the role aligns with existing legal frameworks.

Reacting to the ruling, Wangwe expressed disappointment, stating, “This decision shows that Tanzanians have failed. The ruling essentially allows the minister, with Parliament’s approval, to exercise partisan influence without judicial oversight.”

He went on to criticize the judiciary’s independence, citing Professor Chris Maina Peter’s work on the subject. “The challenges to judicial independence have never been clearer. I urge Tanzanians to protect their votes and turn out in large numbers to ensure their voices are heard,” he stated.

Kaiza, another petitioner, expressed similar frustration, announcing plans to appeal the decision. He emphasized that the upcoming election goes beyond local government seats and encompasses village and hamlet leadership, which he argues have unique roles distinct from those in formal government structures. He criticized the misinterpretation of “local government elections” since the 1990s, claiming it has led to issues in election oversight.

In Shinyanga, Chadema Regional Secretary Sebastian Polepole criticized the removal of Chadema candidates from the race, calling it “a blatant act of bias.” According to Polepole, the party took every measure to ensure candidate forms were properly filled out before submission, making the disqualifications all the more suspect.

Among the disqualified candidates, Mkasha John Emmanuel revealed he was removed on the grounds of not specifying the ward he intended to run for, even though the application clearly noted it. He was also accused of listing an age that allegedly did not match the voter registry. Candidate nominations were completed on November 8, and the deadline for appeals is November 13.

Share this post:

  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Telegram
  • Tweet
  • Print

Related

Previous Post

Obasanjo is a good recurring decimal in the life of our nation, says Gov

Next Post

2024: OWO PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE CHOICE TO VOTE FOR YOU, OLOWO TELLS GOV AIYEDATIWA

KBAdmin

KBAdmin

Related Posts

Ondo APC Primaries Draw Massive Turnout Amid Peaceful, Credible Exercise 
Politics

APC Concludes Peaceful, Transparent House of Reps Primaries in Ondo State

by Admin
May 18, 2026
Tension Rocks APC Reps Primary in Ondo as Thugs Disrupt Result Declaration 
Politics

Tension Rocks APC Reps Primary in Ondo as Thugs Disrupt Result Declaration 

by Admin
May 18, 2026
APC Primary Screening Raises Tension in Owo/Ose Ahead of Poll 
Politics

Primary Appeal C’tte: Ondo APC invites aggrieved aspirants to present case

by Admin
May 17, 2026
Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa on Friday warned APC aspirants against violence ahead of the party’s primaries.
Politics

Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa on Friday warned APC aspirants against violence ahead of the party’s primaries.

by Admin
May 16, 2026
APC Primary Screening Raises Tension in Owo/Ose Ahead of Poll 
Politics

APC Primary Screening Raises Tension in Owo/Ose Ahead of Poll 

by Admin
May 15, 2026
Next Post
2024: OWO PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE CHOICE TO VOTE FOR YOU, OLOWO TELLS GOV AIYEDATIWA

2024: OWO PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE CHOICE TO VOTE FOR YOU, OLOWO TELLS GOV AIYEDATIWA

Comment on this postCancel reply

ADVERTISEMENT

Recommended

OSOPADEC Targets Project Completion, ₦400m Relief as It Engages Ilaje, Ese-Odo Students 

March 19, 2026

Ondo among Nigeria’s lowest poverty ratio states, says FG

December 24, 2025

Don't miss it

Felix Ohagwu Takes Helm as Ondo State Police Commissioner
Security

Felix Ohagwu Takes Helm as Ondo State Police Commissioner

May 19, 2026
Ondo APC Primaries Draw Massive Turnout Amid Peaceful, Credible Exercise 
Politics

APC Concludes Peaceful, Transparent House of Reps Primaries in Ondo State

May 18, 2026
FG Budget Office Explains Delay in Quarterly Reports, Cites Legal Extensions of Fiscal Year
Local News

FG Budget Office Explains Delay in Quarterly Reports, Cites Legal Extensions of Fiscal Year

May 18, 2026
Tension Rocks APC Reps Primary in Ondo as Thugs Disrupt Result Declaration 
Politics

Tension Rocks APC Reps Primary in Ondo as Thugs Disrupt Result Declaration 

May 18, 2026
Federal Polytechnic, Ile-Oluji Honours Late Council Member Hon. Solomon Baribote
Local News

Federal Polytechnic, Ile-Oluji Honours Late Council Member Hon. Solomon Baribote

May 17, 2026
Military Confirms Death of ISWAP Commander Al-Manuki After Precision Operation
Local News

Military Confirms Death of ISWAP Commander Al-Manuki After Precision Operation

May 17, 2026
EXPONENT MAGAZINES NEWS

EERC



Donate for Independent Journalism.



Naira Account number. 2022646165

Account name: Ewi Exponent Rendition Communication

Bank: First Bank plc



Dollar Account number: 0745378102

Name: Olusegun Adeyemi HOSEA.

Bank: GTBANK.


Categories

  • Business
  • Community Policing
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyles
  • Health
  • Local News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Uncategorized
  • World News
November 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

Recent News

Felix Ohagwu Takes Helm as Ondo State Police Commissioner

Felix Ohagwu Takes Helm as Ondo State Police Commissioner

May 19, 2026
Ondo APC Primaries Draw Massive Turnout Amid Peaceful, Credible Exercise 

APC Concludes Peaceful, Transparent House of Reps Primaries in Ondo State

May 18, 2026

© 2022 EXPONENT MAGAZINE NEWS - A Production of EWI EXPONENT RENDITION COOMUNICATION - EERC
Developed by KEEMBEST SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS LIMITED.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • ABOUT US
  • BUY e-MAGAZINE
  • CONTACT US
  • DONATE FOR US
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.