
Ondo Govt Reaffirms Commitment to Strong Primary Health Care Delivery.
* 400 new health workers are expected to receive appointment letters in the coming weeks.
By Olusegun HOSEA. 28th January, 2026
The Ondo State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening primary health care as a cost-effective and people-centered approach to improving health outcomes across the state, as stakeholders reviewed progress and future strategies at the 2026 first-quarter Primary Health Care Task Force Committee meeting in Akure.
The meeting, held at the Cocoa Conference Room, Governor’s Office, Akure, brought together top government officials, traditional rulers, development partners and health sector stakeholders to assess achievements and chart the next phase of primary health care delivery in the state.
Opening the session, the Permanent Secretary, Primary Health Services, Dr. Francis Akanbiemu, said significant activities had been recorded in the sector, attributing the progress to sustained government support and strong stakeholder collaboration.
According to him, the State Primary Health Care (PHC) system reviewed its performance across state and local government levels as it held its first task force meeting of the year, with officials reaffirming commitment to improved service delivery and the rollout of new life-saving vaccines for children.
Speaking at the meeting, the Permanent Secretary ,Dr. Francis Akanbiemu, said the Taskforce meeting was convened to assess the agency’s activities over the past quarters, identify performance gaps, and chart a stronger path forward for primary healthcare delivery in the state.
According to him, the meeting provides an opportunity to evaluate achievements at both state and local government levels and to review areas requiring improvement, noting that effective planning is impossible without a clear understanding of current performance levels.
Dr. Akanbiemu also appealed to the state government for continued support, emphasizing that sustained funding and leadership from the Governor, Deputy Governor, and other health sector stakeholders are critical to the success of PHC programmes.
He assured residents that the PHC system would continue to fulfill its mandate of delivering quality healthcare services to people in their communities where they live and work.
The Permanent Secretary of PHC further announced the commencement of the Measles-Rubella vaccination campaign, integrated with the malaria vaccine, scheduled to run from February 2 to February 11. He disclosed that Ondo State is among the few states selected nationwide to introduce the malaria vaccine.
He described malaria as a major cause of death among children under five, explaining that the introduction of the vaccine would significantly reduce cases of fever, convulsions, and other complications associated with the disease.
Dr. Akanbiemu urged mothers and caregivers to take advantage of the campaign by ensuring their children are vaccinated, stressing that rubella is a deadly disease being incorporated into the state’s routine immunization programme for the first time.

COMMISSIONER FOR HEALTH, DR AJAKA
In his remarks, DR. Banji Ajaka, Commissioner for health, described the meeting as another milestone in the ongoing efforts to upscale and strengthen primary healthcare services in Ondo State.
He noted that the PHC task force, which meets quarterly, is headed by top government leadership and comprises key stakeholders, including traditional rulers, development partners, and other critical actors in the health sector.
Dr. Ajaka recalled that the state government had earlier approved the revitalization of about 105 primary health care centres, many of which are either completed or nearing completion, with more facilities slated for full revitalization this year.
He emphasized that resource mobilization remains a core function of the task force, adding that the introduction of the measles-rubella and malaria vaccines would significantly reduce the burden on the health sector and improve child survival rates.
Governor Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, represented by the Deputy Governor, Dr. Olayide Adelami, described primary health care as the frontline of health service delivery, noting that focused investment at that level was “smarter, less costly and more impactful” for the people. He commended stakeholders for their dedication and applauded the gains recorded since the inauguration of the task force committee.
In a message delivered on behalf of the Governor, the administration emphasized that primary health care is both a policy priority and a moral obligation, especially for women, children, the elderly and residents of rural and underserved communities. The government noted progress in facility assessments, workforce engagement, service delivery mapping and stakeholder partnerships, while calling for more efforts to close existing gaps.
The Governor assured stakeholders of continued budgetary support, stronger partnerships with the private sector and development partners, as well as transparency and accountability in implementing agreed actions. He also urged traditional institutions, civil society groups and community leaders to deepen their involvement to ensure community ownership and trust in health interventions.
Presenting the health evaluation report, officials disclosed that all 203 supported primary health care facilities across the 18 local government areas have been equipped with solar power systems, perimeter fencing, security houses and tricycle ambulances to improve emergency response. Essential medical equipment and drugs have been supplied, while environmental and social safeguard training has been conducted across all facilities.
The report also highlighted improvements in service utilization, data quality and workforce capacity, supported by the provision of laptops and training for electronic data entry. Integrated community-based outreach services, vaccination activities and family planning support are ongoing statewide, with Ondo State emerging as a model other states are learning from.
In addressing workforce challenges caused by retirements and the “Japa” syndrome, the government announced that about 400 new health workers are expected to receive appointment letters in the coming weeks. Additionally, the revitalization of 105 primary health care centres is ongoing, alongside upgrades to facilities and staff accommodation.
The meeting concluded with renewed commitments from stakeholders to strengthen security collaboration in hard-to-reach areas, expand the urban health insurance scheme to the primary health care level, and sustain reforms aimed at building a resilient, accessible and people-focused health care system in Ondo State.
The meeting ended with a call for stronger collaboration among stakeholders to ensure effective implementation of PHC programmes across the state.













