Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • ABOUT US
  • BUY e-MAGAZINE
  • CONTACT US
  • DONATE FOR US
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • ABOUT US
  • BUY e-MAGAZINE
  • CONTACT US
  • DONATE FOR US
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home Local News

Fuel Scarcity: NLC Rules Out Nationwide Strike, As Election Draws Nearer.

Admin by Admin
February 5, 2023
in Local News
0
New Naira Notes: Nigerians Experience Long Queue At ATM Points

You might also like

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention

Adu Empowers Ifedore Farmers With 5,000 Cocoa Seedlings

Ondo Police Calls on Youths to Reject Political Thuggery, Embrace Peace

Fuel, Naira Crisis: NLC Breaks Silence On Call For Nationwide Strike

The Nigeria Labour Congress has ruled out the possibility of embarking on strike action to compel the government to find urgent solutions to the dual crisis of naira and petrol scarcity.

It said going on strike when general elections were a couple of days away could present the union as insensitive, heat up the polity and cause problems. It said Nigerians should rather make use of their permanent voter cards to elect the leaders they believe could make their lives better.

Independent of the naira notes scarcity, the prolonged fuel scarcity, which begun last year, has subjected commuters, business owners and individuals to untold misery, with people spending hours in queues, while a litre of petrol sells for about N500 in some places as against the N185 control price.

But, reacting to the dual impact of the scarcity, the NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, said, “We cannot go on strike on the eve of an election; we also cannot join retrogressive forces. We can use the power of the ballot and our PVCs to bring about a system that will make everybody happy. But if there is a call to go on strike on the eve of elections, I am not sure it is a better option.

“Things will not get better, people should be ready; we cannot change a system through lamentation. Lamentation has not changed any system. What will change the system is for the people to be wise, because this same issue we are talking about, either the fuel or the economy, has been around for the past 30 years.”

He said since the advent of democracy, promises were made but not fulfilled but that it was fruitless to dwell on that.

“Our suggestion is that all of us must work together to hold people in government at all levels accountable and this is important; from the president to the governors, National Assembly members and others,” he stated. “Everybody must be seen to be improving the system, not improving themselves.

“We cannot go on strike on the eve of the election. Have you ever seen that on the eve of elections, the NLC mobilised (people) to go on strike? So, if there is a problem now and the election did not hold, won’t you come back to say the same NLC made the election not to hold. Which is a better option? Is it to use your PVC to elect people who will change the narrative or we continue to lament?”

Civil servants stranded

The National President, Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, Tommy Etim, has lamented that some workers have been unable to go to work because they do not have cash for transportation.

In an interview with one of our correspondents on Thursday, Etim, who doubles as the Vice-President of the Trade Union Congress, noted that the only condition for the Central Bank of Nigeria’s February 10 deadline to stand was for there to be enough new notes in circulation.

He stated, “The policy is a good one but unfortunately, it is not working as planned. Now, it is not even politicians who are suffering, it is the poor masses. From the socio-economic outlook, the informal sector is bearing the brunt. A lot of workers don’t even have money to go to the office, how will productivity come to place? If there is no productivity, how will the economy grow? A civil servant cannot pay taxi N200 with bank transfer because drivers only believe in the cash they see with their hands.

Source: Punch

Share this post:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Tweet
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print

Related

Previous Post

ADEGOROYE HAILS BUHARI, FASHOLA, AS NNPC TAKES OVER RECONSTRUCTION OF AKURE-ADO EKITI ROAD

Next Post

ABROGATION: NOA Rejects NUJ Membership Delisting …. accused Isiguzo of pursuing personal agenda.

Admin

Admin

Related Posts

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention
Local News

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention

by Admin
August 22, 2026
Adu Empowers Ifedore Farmers With 5,000 Cocoa Seedlings
Local News

Adu Empowers Ifedore Farmers With 5,000 Cocoa Seedlings

by Admin
August 21, 2026
Ondo Police Calls on Youths to Reject Political Thuggery, Embrace Peace
Local News

Ondo Police Calls on Youths to Reject Political Thuggery, Embrace Peace

by Admin
August 19, 2026
NOA Urges Calm, Caution as Ondo Govt Intensifies Investigation into Persistent Odour in Akure
Local News

NOA Urges Calm, Caution as Ondo Govt Intensifies Investigation into Persistent Odour in Akure

by Admin
August 16, 2026
The Ghost on Lake Victoria: Service Failures Undermining Tanzania’s TZS 22.8 Billion Investment 
Local News

The Ghost on Lake Victoria: Service Failures Undermining Tanzania’s TZS 22.8 Billion Investment 

by Admin
August 16, 2026
Next Post
ABROGATION: NOA Rejects NUJ Membership Delisting …. accused Isiguzo of pursuing personal agenda.

ABROGATION: NOA Rejects NUJ Membership Delisting …. accused Isiguzo of pursuing personal agenda.

Comment on this postCancel reply

ADVERTISEMENT

Recommended

ONDO NIPR CALLS FOR RESTRAINT AND DIALOGUE

ONDO NIPR COMMENDS ADETIMEHIN OVER APPOINTMENT OF OLAGUNDOYE AS DIRECTOR OF ORGANISATION

August 25, 2024
Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa on Friday warned APC aspirants against violence ahead of the party’s primaries.

ONDO STATE GOVERNMENT DISPELS RUMOUR OF KIDNAPPING IN AKURE

June 3, 2026

Don't miss it

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention
Local News

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention

August 22, 2026
NSCDC Arrests Security Guard Over Alleged Burglary, Theft in Akure
Crime

NSCDC Arrests Security Guard Over Alleged Burglary, Theft in Akure

August 22, 2026
Adu Empowers Ifedore Farmers With 5,000 Cocoa Seedlings
Local News

Adu Empowers Ifedore Farmers With 5,000 Cocoa Seedlings

August 21, 2026
Ondo Police Calls on Youths to Reject Political Thuggery, Embrace Peace
Local News

Ondo Police Calls on Youths to Reject Political Thuggery, Embrace Peace

August 19, 2026
Persistent Attack on Gov. Lucky Is Not Politics, It’s Hatred
Education

OAUSTECH VC Hails Aiyedatiwa Over 60% Subvention Increase, Approval of 2026 FGN/Unions Agreements

August 19, 2026
BeyondPartyLine Emerges in Ondo, Mobilises Citizens for Competent Leadership
Politics

BeyondPartyLine Emerges in Ondo, Mobilises Citizens for Competent Leadership

August 19, 2026
EXPONENT MAGAZINES NEWS

EERC



Donate for Independent Journalism.



Naira Account number. 2022646165

Account name: Ewi Exponent Rendition Communication

Bank: First Bank plc



Dollar Account number: 0745378102

Name: Olusegun Adeyemi HOSEA.

Bank: GTBANK.


Categories

  • Business
  • Community Policing
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyles
  • Health
  • Local News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Uncategorized
  • World News
February 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

Recent News

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention

Odun Ebiwonjumi Residents Protest Alleged Itsekiri Invasion, Seek Government Intervention

August 22, 2026
NSCDC Arrests Security Guard Over Alleged Burglary, Theft in Akure

NSCDC Arrests Security Guard Over Alleged Burglary, Theft in Akure

August 22, 2026

© 2022 EXPONENT MAGAZINE NEWS - A Production of EWI EXPONENT RENDITION COOMUNICATION - EERC
Developed by KEEMBEST SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS LIMITED.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • ABOUT US
  • BUY e-MAGAZINE
  • CONTACT US
  • DONATE FOR US
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.