
Police Nab Wanted Kidnap Kingpin in Ikare-Akoko After Months on the Run
10th March,2026
The Ondo State Police Command has arrested a suspected kidnapping ringleader, Abdullahi Lawal, who had been on the run since August 2025 following a violent abduction incident in Ikare-Akoko.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the Command said the suspect, identified as Abdullahi Lawal of Aderoju Camp in Ugbe Akoko Town, was apprehended after months of intelligence-led operations by security operatives.
According to the statement, Lawal was the alleged mastermind behind the kidnapping of Aremu Tijani, which occurred on August 18, 2025, at the victim’s bush farm in the Ikare-Akoko area.
The police recalled that shortly after the incident, operatives launched a tactical operation against the criminal gang, leading to a gun battle during which three members of the group were neutralised while four other suspects were arrested.
However, the gang leader reportedly escaped at the time despite sustaining gunshot wounds during the confrontation with security operatives.
Following his escape, the Command placed the suspect on its intelligence watchlist and intensified surveillance and discreet investigations to track his movements and possible hideouts.
Police said the efforts eventually paid off as operatives successfully arrested the suspect in Ikare-Akoko after months of coordinated intelligence gathering.
The Command added that the suspect has made useful confessional statements and will be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.
The Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Lawal, commended the dedication and professionalism of the officers involved in the operation and appreciated members of the public for providing useful information that aided the arrest.
The Command reiterated its zero tolerance for kidnapping and other violent crimes, assuring residents that security agencies are intensifying efforts to dismantle criminal networks operating within the state.
Residents were also urged to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to the nearest police station or through established security channels, as the Command pledged that no criminal would be allowed to operate freely in Ondo State.













