
I LAJE: Alleged Husband’s Concubine Sends Assassin to Kill Wife
By Olusegun HOSEA, Akure
6th April 2026
It was a sad moment for the family of Mr. and Mrs. Oroyo Monday and his wife, Funmilayo, popularly called Opantan, from the Luro family in Ehinmore in Ilaje local government area, when a husband’s concubine allegedly hired an assassin to kill the wife of her boyfriend in Zion Abetobo, Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State. The incident occurred on 31st March 2026.
According to reports obtained from the deceased’s family, when the assailant stormed the deceased’s house at midnight, he allegedly collaborated with someone in Abetobo community to carry out the act. The victim, identified as Opantan (her childhood nickname), received no help during the attack.
A source revealed that the woman’s husband was not at home at the time of the incident, as he had travelled to Igbokoda or Okitipupa to pick up his children from school for the holiday. Investigations further revealed that on the day the husband left, after his wife had completed roofing her newly built kitchen, the assailant attacked the following day, raped her, and then stabbed her to death.The perpetrator were still at large as of the time of filling this report.
Information gathered from the deceased’s family and the scene indicated that the woman was still nursing a baby at the time she was killed. The baby was reportedly found still sucking its mother’s breast, lying beside her lifeless body on her husband’s bed. When neighbours forced open the door to the room, they found the woman dead, with multiple stab wounds on her body. An alarm was raised after the discovery.
Meanwhile, the exact cause of the death has not been officially confirmed at the time of filing this report. It was gathered that the alleged woman who hired the assailant has not yet been identified. However, information revealed that the suspect had previously had conflicts with the deceased over an alleged affair with her husband.
Speaking via telephone, the Oba of Igboroko land in Abetobo stated that information at his disposal showed that members of his community were not involved in the killing, as confirmed through “Omori posi” (a traditional method of uncovering the truth in mysterious situations). He described the incident as unfortunate, adding that the deceased and her husband were not indiegenes of the community but had settled there for work.
He further stated that several houses and properties belonging to community members were destroyed by the deceased’s family over the incident. According to him, the corpse of the deceased remains embalmed in the community, as the family has refused burial until the cause of her death is fully uncovered.
In his words: “The information given to me by my subjects is that the family of the deceased consulted Omori posi and brought it to our community for investigation. The oracle revealed that the people of Abetobo were not involved in her death, but that her husband’s concubine allegedly sent an assassin to kill her.”
He added that the family is still investigating the matter and that there are claims someone within the community may have conspired with the assailant. However, he noted that if such collaboration existed, it should have been revealed through the traditional inquiry. He said the matter has now been referred to the palace of the Olugbo of Ugbo Land for resolution.
Similarly, when the husband of the deceased was asked to identify the concubine allegedly responsible, he stated that he could not confirm who was involved. He admitted having a concubine in Abe-Alala community and another in Igbokoda, both in Ilaje Local Government Area, but said he could not determine who might be responsible.
He added that a date would be fixed for a meeting where both families would be invited to the palace to decide on the burial arrangements.
Regarding the destruction of property, he said the Chairman of Ilaje Local Government Maurice Oripenaye had sent officials and police officers to assess the damage, and a report had been submitted. He further explained that the Chairman had directed the police to retrieve the corpse, but members of the Ehinmore community resisted the move.
He noted that burying the corpse without proper investigation could create further problems, especially as the family had initially prevented authorities from conducting due investigations. He added that although the family insists on proceeding with the burial, efforts are being made to manage the situation in accordance with the law.
As of the time of filling this report, the Police Public Relations, Officer- PPRO, DSP, Abayomi Jimoh is yet to confirm the incident but said he would revert please.











